What is PEP?
The Parent Education Program (PEP) is a court mandated course for all parents with children under 18, who are involved in a divorce, civil union, annulment, separation or visitation case. The program is required within 60 days after a family case is filed in court. Remember, you are responsible for your own registration as the court will not register you in the class. In short, PEP is designed to provide parents with support concerning many issues that children are faced with as their family situation changes. It will provide necessary information on:
- Parenting Through Transitions
- Children’s Developmental Stages and Warning Signs to Look For
- Cooperative Parenting
- Conflict Management and Dispute Resolution
- Parenting Plans and Schedules
- Stress Reduction for Children and Parents
The program is 6 hours in length and is very beneficial and necessary for maintaining healthy parent-child relationships.
How Do I Register?
Step 1: Get the Necessary Forms
Complete Section III of the Parenting Education Program – Order, Certificate and Results from JD-FM-149. These forms are available at all Judicial District Clerks’ Offices, Court Service Centers and on the Judicial Branch website. Your lawyer or program provider may also have the form.
Step 2: Choose your Course and Sign Up
To receive an application to register or view upcoming courses:
- Call (203) 389-5599, ext. 142 and follow the prompts
- Stop into the New Haven office (1440 Whalley Avenue) to pick up instructions and a registration form
- Download the PEP January 2020 or the PEP February 2020 printable Parent Education Program class enrollment form and submit via fax to (203) 389-5904
- Sign up online using the Event Calendar and choosing your dates, then following the necessary prompts.
Step 3: Attend the Course
Bring the Parenting Education Program Order, Certificate and Results form (JD-FM-149) with you to your first class.
Step 4: You’re All Set!
Upon satisfactory completion of the program, JFSGNH will send you AND the court a certificate of completion.
Why Choose JFS?
Jewish Family Service of Greater New Haven is an authorized PEP provider through a State of Connecticut contract administered by the Connecticut Council of Family Service Agencies. We offer several monthly classes at your choice of 2 convenient locations:
- Jewish Family Service of Greater New Haven – 1440 Whalley Ave, New Haven, CT 06515
- Nathanael B Greene Community Center – 32 Church St, Guilford, CT 06437
Our trained facilitators genuinely want to help you. We have supportive teachers who are there to ensure you get the most of your course. Our courses are flexible, as we offer three hour and six hour courses. We will do all we can to accommodate you and make sure your course is completed by the court’s deadline.
Call Us Today at (203) 389-5599 ext. 142